Remember, remember the fifth of November.
A rhyme we’re all familiar with, but one we’d amend slightly to remember, remember the importance of bonfire night fire safety.
Fire authorities across the country are recommending that members of the public attend properly organised displays, rather than having a bonfire in their own gardens. Even with care being taken, there are many accidents each year resulting in burns and injuries and figures have shown that more often it is children who are injured.
The most obvious hazard of a bonfire night party is the bonfire itself.
At Churches Fire, we echo the advice of attending a professional display, however if you are holding a bonfire night party, we would encourage people to follow the general advice:
- Never use flammable liquids (petrol/paraffin) to ignite the fire
- Erect the bonfire away from the house, any outbuildings (shed/garage), fences and plants
- Consult any neighbours to let them know about the plans for a bonfire
- Never leave the bonfire unattended
- Keep a source of water (bucket/hose) nearby at all times
- Under no circumstances should aerosols, flammable liquids, plastics, canisters or other highly flammable be put in the fire
- Ensure children and pets are kept well clear of the bonfire
When the bonfire has died down, ensure that all fire and embers are extinguished with water or sand.
Fireworks provide entertainment to people of all ages and are best enjoyed from safe distances at professionally organised events.
Should you decide to host your own fireworks, there are guidelines to follow:
- Purchase your fireworks from a trusted source, making sure they carry the CE Mark
- Store fireworks in a closed box, removing one at a time when ready to light
- Do not allow anyone under the age of 18 to set off fireworks
- Stand well clear of the fireworks, making sure children and pets are out of the way
- Keep a bucket of water close by
- Light the fireworks at arm’s length, carefully following the instructions for lighting
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit; even if it has not gone off, it may still detonate
Remember it’s against the law to light fireworks between 11pm and 7am, except on 5th November when the curfew extends to midnight.
Sparklers are often a feature at firework and bonfire displays, and when used safely then can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Sparklers can reach temperatures of up to 2,000c, with figures showing that three burning together can generate the same amount of heat as a blowtorch! Being a hand-held firework that emits flames and sparks, a high level of caution should be exercised when using sparklers.
It is recommended to never give sparklers to children under the age of 5 years old, and to always wear gloves when holding on to a sparkler. They should be lit one at a time, never in a bunch due to the resulting combined heat. Holding sparklers at arm’s length when being lit in a clear, outdoor space away from others will allow you to safely enjoy their display.
When the sparkler has finished, put it into a bucket of water or sand, ensuring it is totally extinguished before being removed.
If you are attending an organised display, the safety precautions in place should always be followed. Fire extinguishers and buckets of water and sand will be on-site to ensure everyone safely enjoys the evening.
To discuss fire safety, please contact Churches Fire today.Get in touch
December 11, 2020
November 29, 2020
November 26, 2020